Now, I've been sewing since I was little, I used to make my own dolls clothes out of scraps from my mum's sewing room floor from the age of about 5 (they weren't very good!). As a child I could spend hours sorting through the button tin, and drooling over bits of lace and ric rac! I once even sewed my finger into my mum's old Singer hand operated sewing machine when I was ten, yes I used to turn that handle so fast! I think everyone in the road heard the screams, I was still attached to the machine by the thread, and my mum had to extract the needle with pliers whilst my finger was numbed with an icicle pop!
I progressed to buying old 70's jeans really cheaply as a teenager in the 80's from the local market, and turning them into fashionable skin tight jeans. In those days denim didn't have any stretch so they really were tight, sometimes you couldn't sit down in them! Nowadays my sewing exploits have mostly been shortening all my 90's long skirts that I just couldn't bear to part with, to create a new wardrobe of knee length skirts for work.
I've never really turned one item of clothing into something different, so this is probably my first refashion.
So here's the item to be refashioned, one ladies size 10 Primark blanket wrapover coat. Unlined, unwanted and languishing in the back of the cupboard. Very interesting fabric though, which is why it never got thrown out. What to do?
Why yes, a man's size XXL waistcoat for him indoors!
I unpicked the sleeves and the side seams of the coat, and removed the pockets. The sleeves were in two pieces, with a gusset running the full length of the underarm. I unpicked that too.
Next, I added the sleeve gusset pieces to each side of the back, to create the extra 8 inches of chest measurement that I needed, and I also had to remove a long triangle off the side of each front panel, as I wanted them to touch, not overlap as they did on the original coat. Thankfully, I did not have to adjust the length.
There ensued a lot of tinkering with armhole size, until I was able to finish them off with a piece of bias binding.
Here is the finished item, I will add a photo of the new owner modelling his waistcoat on Friday, when he has decided he will wear it out. For now a coathanger will have to do!
There was not enough length of fabric to match the extra side pieces to the front and back, so I left it as it was on the sleeve, with the bias binding that was on the cuff, to form part of the bottom of the waistcoat. However, when worn this is not too noticable.
Updated with pics of waistcoat and new owner!
and back view